What Remote Auto Key Programmer Problems can a Auto Locksmith help with
* Repair and provide replacement key fob
* Remote car key fob is not working
* Transponder key is broken/damaged
* Provide a spare transponder key
* Transponder chip inside the car key remote is broken or damaged
Types of Car Keys That Need Programming
Since 1995 vehicles are legally required to have an immobiliser system. To work this requires a transponder key with an electronic chip. The car only starts if the ignition receives the correct code when the key is turned.
Common types of keys that will need reprogramming include:
* Car key with remote fob ( remote keys ) – provide keyless entry to the vehicle
* Car key with integrated transponder chip ( transponder key ) – cars built after 1995
* Flip type keys + key cards
My Car Keys are Pre 1995
Pre 1995 transponder car keys will not need programming but you will need to find a locksmith specialising in car key cutting.
How long does it take to program a key to your car?
Some locksmith shops will have the ability to cut and programme a ‘cloned key’ in minutes. The Honda Key Programmer itself may have to be present, to ‘read’ some wireless information from a key ‘working’ in the ignition.
Some keys cannot be ‘cloned’ and may need a diagnostic machine to complete the process. Also, some vehicles MAY require a ‘login’ code or PIN before the programming software will allow the diagnostics-machine to access the vehicle
Can a key fob be reprogrammed for another car?
In some cases YES, but it depends on the year/make/model. Some cars now have the transponder integrated into the circuit board of the remote-fob, these cannot usually be reused.
Can you program a new key fob yourself?
In general NO, very few can be done without some vehicle diagnostics. The internet may say otherwise, but there are variations from country to country.
Some advancements have been made recently, where the key fob can be ‘cloned’ which is scary but is probably being developed for high-street key cutters, but it’s early days yet for full-coverage.
What is the difference between a transponder key & a remote key?
The main difference between a transponder key and remote key fob is how they operate
* Both keys usually have the same appearance Remote Key
* Is run by a radio frequency so you can lock and unlock your car via the key blade and remote
* If the remote key does not work, you can use the standard flat car key to start the vehicle.
* Is also run by a radio frequency which allows you to unlock and lock the vehicle
MAIN DIFFERENCE: The key fob for a transponder key also has an electronic chip inside which remotely responds to the ignition, without it, the engine will not start & a thief cannot disarm the alarm system.
Key Programming for Various Model of Car & Van Keys
A auto locksmith can cut, program/reprogram & provide replacement keys for remote fobs and transponder keys for most vehicle manufacturers, if your car key is damaged then a locksmith should be able to repair & provide a replacement set.